Sunday 14 April 2013

Potter Potter - 14th April 2013

Everyone who knows me, knows I love Harry Potter. I love the book series to the point that I would buy the new book at midnight and read it completely within 24 hours! I love the film series that I was prepared to go to the cinema by myself just to see it! And obviously I have been to the studio tour up at the original studios, which is the most magical experience. So when I received an email offering me discounted tickets to see Potted Potter, I immediately booked!

Simply put, Potted Potter is the unauthorised Harry Potter Experience, all seven books acted out in just 70 minutes, a parody written and performed by Daniel Clarkson and Jefferson Turner, former CBBC presenters. The show started out as a simple street show to keep the fans amused while queuing at midnight to buy the latest book back in 2005. A year later, it had expanded into an hour long show, which eventually went on to be nominated for an Olivier Award and a What's on Stage Award.

The show has toured all around the world even finding its way to the bright lights of Broadway. But today we headed up to the famous Theatreland in the heart of the West End to see the show at The Garrick Theatre, currently home to the musical, Rock of Ages. The theatre is small and intimate which made it a great venue for the play to take place. We had managed to get stall seats just eight rows from the front. These seats were fantastic and there was no worry about someone tall sitting in front of us as the stage is high above the audience, giving a great view to all.

The show was ridiculously funny and despite being a family show, bordered on naughty at times! There were a couple of running jokes throughout the show. First, the lack of great props and scenery, which they jokingly said was because all the money being spent on a fire breathing dragon, which in the end, was just a puppet! Secondly, the fact that Dan had not read the books (obviously he has) and he kept mixing it up with Star Wars, The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. They even joked about the stupidness of having The Hobbit (one book) spread out over three movies!

One of the funniest moments for me and I think most people in the audience, was the chance to play Quidditch. Obviously, no expense was spared for the props, with two hoops, hung over the balcony of the circle, a beach ball used for the Quaffle and Jeff dressed up as a snitch! No one scored a goal, but I did get a couple of touchs of the ball myself. To end the match, two children had been invited to be seekers and obviously this involved chasing the snitch (or Jeff in the case). It didn't last long as Jeff was caught by a little girl and literally slammed to floor! Dan used every chance for the rest of the show taking the mickey out of Jeff for being beaten by a little girl!

The show used silly props, a computer presentation and a song set to the tune of " I Will Survive" to tell the stories of the 7 books and was brilliant and so cleverly done! I was crying of laughter throughout the entire performance. This is a definite must see for all Potter fans!





No comments:

Post a Comment