Tuesday 20 August 2013

Kids Week: Wicked - August 2013

It's Kids Week again! Well, more like Kids Month now! It has become popular now, that I was lucky to get tickets to two different shows! One of which is mine and Rachael's all time favourite musical, Wicked! This year, I booked slightly different seats. Still in the circle, but more towards the centre and slightly back a bit more. It gave us a much better view of the entire stage than we have had in previous years.

We had been really excited about coming this year as we got to see Louise Dearman in the role of Elphaba after seeing her two years ago in the role of Glinda, making her the first ever actress to having played both of the leading roles in the musical's history.

Luckily for us, thanks to my checking cast holidays, we only had one cast change for the performance, which was Marc McBride stepping in for Sam Lupton in the role of Boq. Otherwise the main line up remained the same: Louise Dearman as Elphaba, Gina Beck as Glinda and Ben Freeman as Fiyero. I was particular excited though to see Harriet Thorpe back as Madame Morrible, who I had been fortunate to see on my first visit to see the show a few years ago.

The show as always was phenomenal! Louise Dearman was absolutely blinding as Elphaba and smashed Defying Gravity! As she went into big part at the end of the song, she gave me chills, she was that good! Gina, as last year, had me in fits of giggles as Glinda and I have to say I was quite impressed by Ben Freeman. He actually does have a good singing voice! This year was the first year that I had given the cast a standing ovation and deservedly so as they were all outstanding!

As always, after the show, we immediately made our way to stage door to meet the cast! We met the main eight cast members: Louise Dearman, Gina Beck, Ben Freeman, Harriet Thorpe, Keith Bartlett, Christopher Howell, Marc McBride and Katie Rowley Jones. I have to say I was impressed by how quick Louise came out especially as she has to get the green make up off! I was also really happy that Gina remembered us from the Oliviers Red Carpet earlier this year! The biggest surprise though was seeing Will Young come out alongside Harriet after the show, though we didn't stop him as he disappeared away from the fans very quickly!

Overall, this was an amazing night as always! If you can, book tickets to go and see the show before October so you get the chance to see Louise as Elphaba! I am already looking forward to returning next year to see the new Elphaba in action!

No comments:

Post a Comment