Monday 6 October 2014

The Book of Mormon - July 2014

I am going to put this out there right now and I am not ashamed to admit it either: I really hate South Park! I think it is disgusting, crude and not at all funny. So imagine my surprise when I found myself desperately wanting to see The Book of Mormon after seeing performances of the Broadway cast. Now being a huge fan of Frozen, finding out not long after the Oscars this year that Robert Lopez, one half of the writing team behind the Oscar winning "Let It Go", also happened to be one of the crazy minds behind The Book of Mormon.  It was the clincher I needed to be convinced to go and see the show. And I am very glad I did!


Tickets for the show are not cheap and finding good deals are not easy. However, in comparison to other shows, The Book of Mormon have a number of offers available. I took advantage of the No Booking Fee deal. I booked 12 weeks in advance via the official website and did not have to pay the booking fee. Best deal I could find with a guaranteed seat to the show. I ended up choosing the cheapest ticket available at £37.50 (if I remember correctly) for a ticket near the back of the circle of The Prince of Wales theatre. Luckily, no matter where you sit in this theatre, you generally have a good view.

The Book of Mormon follows the story of two young missionaries as they journey to Uganda. Simply put, it is an outright piss take of Mormons and their beliefs! It is absolutely hysterical! Though I do advise anyone who is in any way easily offended, I would not suggest you going to see it! The show starred at the time of me going to see it, Gavin Creel as Elder Prince, Jared Gertner as Elder Cunningham, Alexia Khadime as Nabulungi and an amazingly talented ensemble! It is definitely one of the most vocally impressive shows I have seen this year!


As always after the show I went to the stage door and met the cast. I got to speak Alexia about the fact she was, besides Idina Menzel, the only (at the time) actress I had not seen as Elphaba in Wicked. It was nice to finally to see her perform despite knowing who she was for quite some time now! It was fantastic to meet Jared and Gavin after the show, as I discovered from some fans that they were due to leave the show barely a couple of weeks later! I feel lucky I got to see them as they had done much longer than the standard year most leads do!

I definitely plan to go back and see the show at some point. But right now, listening to the Broadway cast album on repeat will have to make do! If you can, go and see the show! And watch out for the fantastic running joke of Elder Cunningham not being able to pronounce Nabulungi's name, resulting in some very weird and unexpected results (which I am told are made up on the spot)!








No comments:

Post a Comment