Sunday 25 January 2015

Cats - January 2015

I know I only blogged last month about going to see Cats at the Palladium, but I did say that I had booked myself a ticket to see it again. And this past week, I was back to watch it again. I had booked my ticket the morning after seeing it originally, through the Get Into London Theatre deal. I did not think I would manage to get a ticket, but I did and for only £20. My seat was still in the Upper Circle, but more in the centre, so feel my seat was better than last time as I had a better overall view of the stage!.

I am glad I got to see the show a second time and may just go again before the end of its run, now it has been extended to April. Last time, I was so excited to be finally seeing it and even more excited that Nicole Scherzinger was performing after being announced online as not being scheduled to do so that night. I was able to enjoy the show much more as I was more relaxed. Even so, the show was still absolutely incredible.

I paid more attention this time, so knew and understood the story. As I mentioned in my previous blog, it is set around the poems by T.S. Eliot. It tells the story of Jellicle Cats (and I am still not sure what they mean by that, but does that really matter?), who attend the Jellicle Ball, during which one cat will be chosen to reborn. Then through songs, we are introduced to a variety of cats and are told about them or told their story. Such a clever concept as it makes the show an ensemble show, providing more performers a chance to take centre stage, rather than just two or three cast members.

As I spoke at length in my last blog about Nicole Scherzinger (who was phenomenal again), I want to talk about the other cast members and other musical numbers. My absolute favourite number is Macavity. It is a song I have know since I was little and it has stuck with me despite having never seen the show till last month. Zizi Strallen and Charlene Ford take the lead on this number and absolutely shine. They prove they are true triple threats as performers throughout it. Both give their absolute all throughout, showing that if you have the talent, you can sing and dance at the same time!

Another musical I love is The Rum Tum Tugger. I know there has been some uproar about them updating the song to make more in line with current music trends. Personally I think it works, as he is the cat that likes do what he wants. Antoine Murray-Straughan performs role so well, merging dancing, singing and rapping!

I went to the stage door after the show. Last time I did not meet any of the cast as I was so confused to each person was, plus it was packed. This time, there was me and a handful of other people, which made it a little easier, so I met many of the cast members. And despite, holding out as long as I could, I did not meet Nicole. But from I can gather very few people have manage to do so via the stage door.

Nicole finishes her run in a couple of weeks, with Kerry Ellis taking over until the show closes in April. So if you get the chance, go and see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment