Thursday 6 September 2012

West End Wonders

It has been a month since I have last posted and in that time, I have met many more celebs. Many have come from waiting at the stage door after seeing a West End Show!

The first show as part of Kids' Week, I took Rachael to see was Singin' In The Rain at The Palace Theatre. I have loved this movie since seeing it and we were both very excited to see them make it rain on stage! Would highly recommend seeing the show! Afterwards, as we had done the year before, I took Rachael to the stage door to meet the main cast members. We got to meet Sandra Dickinson but sadly she does not do photos but was very nice nonetheless. However, we did get to meet and have photos with Katherine Kingsley, Daniel Crossley, Francis Haugen and Scarlett Strallen. Scarlett was the final member of the main cast to come out and apologised for making us wait so long but she appreciated the fact that we had!

Four days later, and another Kids' Week show, we went to see Billy Elliot the Musical. I have to admit I did not understand half of what was said due to the strong accents used and I was completely shocked to hear kids, young ones as well, using very foul language as part of show but I was taken aback by how talented the children were! They outshone the adults in every respect. Immediately after we shot round to the stage door to meet whoever we could. We were very lucky as the security guard asked Rachael wanted to meet and that was the boy playing Billy, Kaine Ward. As the children in the show, come out quickly and are usually whisked away in a car, we were lucky that the security guard got us over to meet him! He was extremely sweet to her and it made Rachael's night to get (what I think was) the only photo with him that night. We also got to meet Deka Walmsley and Gillian Bevan as well. Other cast members sneaked past before we could stop them.

Next theatre trip was to our favourite musical, Wicked. It was my third time seeing it and Rachael's second and I had booked specifically for this date as it pretty much guranteed the main cast being available. We had seen the standby for Elphaba the year before so we were delighted to finally see Rachel Tucker in action and she was phenomenal! After the show, we went to stage door, place ourselves where we had the year before, directly in front of the stage door and waited, but I was amazed to see it busier than it had ever had been before, but something tells me that having a former boy band member in the show may of have something to do with that. We got to meet six main cast members, who were: Lillie Flynn, Christopher Howell, Adam Pettigrew, Gina Beck, Matt Willis and Rachel Tucker. Now usually when we meet cast members at the door, I usually leave the photos to Rachael but this time, I had to have my photos done as well! I mean it was Matt Willis, formerly of Busted!!!! I have to admit he was not as chatty as he has appeared to be in the past, but he knew the drill, placed his bag by the stage door and just went down the line of people signing autographs and having photos taken with the fans. The biggest shock was Rachel Tucker's accent. I had no idea she was from Northern Ireland so when I heard speak with the accent at the end of the show, it kinda threw me!

Next up was Shrek, The Musical! We had been excited about seeing this ever since going to their Family Fun Day back in May, where we had been lucky to meet the cast and the former Princess Fiona, Kimberly Walsh. Have to admit, the show is phenomenal and the cast are all amazingly talented, but I was not prepared for the two shocks I was going to get at the stage door. Some of the first people to leave from the stage door are those in the orchestra. Imagine my surprise, when my next door neighbour comes walking out! Turns out he plays the French Horn for the show! The cast members were next out and first out, was Richard Blackwood, wearing a Mickey Mouse t-shirt, despite being in a show, directly produced by Dreamworks. I also had a Mickey Mouse top on which led to a conversation about Disneyland. Turns out he had just been to the American one and I am off to the Paris one next month! He was quickly followed out by Neil McDermott, and Carly Stenson. Then came our next shock. The lady we were stood next to while waiting, informed us that the cricketer, Freddie Flintoff had been in the audience with his family. Being famous does help in getting you backstage to meet the cast, so obviously they were going to be leaving by the stage door too! He had barely got through the door, when I asked if I could get a photo and he happily obliged and did the same for everyone waiting and then strolled off down the road with his kids and wife! Finally the main man himself, Shrek or Dean Chisnell appeared. All I can say is thank God for the photos in the programme, we would not of recognised him without it!

Our final show as part of Kids' Week was Mamma Mia. If you have not seen the show, go and see it! It is ridiculously funny and extremely emotional at the same time and it is most definitely the cheesefest that the movie is. Oh and EVERYONE can sing in the show, unlike the movie. That being said, Mamma Mia has one of the biggest main casts in West End. Usually Rachael and I will meet 4-5 people after a show, this one we met 12! They were also the quickest to get out after the curtain went down. But they were all so nice and so happy to stop and have photos. The biggest draw for me was Neil Roberts. He appeared in Season One of Charmed as Rex Buckland and I told him that I remembered him from the show and he really appreciated being to meet one of his fans! I absolutely adored meeting Kim Ismay and Joanna Monro as they are both just as funny as they are onstage! But Rachael was desperate to meet the guy who played Pepper, as she fell in love with him over the course of watching the show. The moment I saw him, I pointed at him and told him not to go anywhere as Rachael had to meet him! He was so sweet to her to the point where Rachael got shy (despite having the confidence to speak to those she met over the past month). Just as we were planning to leave, the final main cast member came out and I cheekily made a sarcastic comment, leading him to believe that Rachael's name was not Rachael! He did laugh though when I told him it was though. He admitted that being from another country he does not always get the British sense of humour! Rachael's programme is now full up with autographs, which she is very pleased with!

Have to admit, that despite planning to go to the stage door, I never expected to meet so many people! We have had a great summer made great by the generosity of the cast members' time!


No comments:

Post a Comment