Saturday 26 October 2013

London Film and Comic Con Winter - October 2013

London Film and Comic Con Winter replaced last year's Entertainment Media Show this year. Despite not having planned to go, due to lack of funds, the line up was too good to resist, specifically because of the huge number of Doctor Who guests that had been announced for the weekend. Plus as it fell on Matthew's birthday again, it was great excuse for a Mummy/Mattie day as he calls them.

Due to the lack of money I had, I decided to keep the number of people I met to the bare minimum and to Doctor Who guests only. So in the end, we ended up meeting Bonnie Langford, Paul McGann, Noel Clarke, Neve McIntosh and Andrew Hayden Smith. So while it ended up being a quick trip in comparison to previous conventions, it was definitely well worth it. Especially considering everyone we met wished Mattie a Happy Birthday!

Once inside, we headed straight over for my only photo shoot of the day with Noel Clarke. It had just started when we got there and as we have an extra help pass, we were in and at the front of the queue very quickly. Noel was absolutely lovely and attempted to engage Mattie in a conversation but Mattie was having none of it! It seemed Mattie was not going to be in the best today as he had been at previous conventions!

Once done with the photo shoot, we headed down towards the back of the hall where the autograph area was and immediately jumped in the queue to meet Bonnie. I have to admit, besides Dancing On Ice, I have never actually seen Bonnie in anything (though this was to change) and yet I still knew who she was! She was absolutely lovely to meet. We ended talking about the musical she currently starring in, Spamalot. I told her I was planning to coming to see it very soon and she informed she was due to leave in a few weeks (which helped a lot when I came to book). I also told her I was not a Monty Python fan and she told me it was not necessary to do so as it was more of taking the mickey out of musicals. She also told me about her mum, who like me, does not like Monty Python but had seen Spamalot 12 times! This really put my mind at ease about booking tickets (which I did a week later).

Next we went to see Paul McGann, who, as I tried to explain to Mattie, used to be the Doctor. I think Paul may have taken offence to this (in a joke sort of way) as he jokingly went on the defensive and said he was the Doctor, putting simply that once the doctor, always the doctor, which quite honestly is true! I did admit I had never seen his stint as the Doctor but that my husband had! We then went to see Noel for an autograph, who was an absolute joy to meet. We ended up chatting about his small but important role in Star Trek: Into the Darkness. I won't say how the conversation went just in case you have not seen the movie as not to spoil it for you.

We then headed over to see Neve McIntosh. She had a ridiculously long queue, longer than the crew had expected. Perhaps as she is part of the current cast of Doctor Who helped towards how many people wanted to meet her and trust me, it was worth meeting her. She was very sweet to Mattie, explaining that she had chosen to wear her human make up that day (she play Madame Vastra on the show, the green lizard alien thing, sorry cannot remember what type) and on being told it was Mattie's birthday, she sung Happy Birthday to him! Definitely one of the best guests we have ever met at a convention!

Finally, we met Andrew Hayden Smith, but only after a long wait. He had been on a lunch break and then had interviewed Noel! While waiting I was discussing with the crew and some other fans about his role Byker Grove and trying to remember the name of his character. But he was worth the wait as he was very sweet, but quieter than I expected!

It was a quick day for us, but as always there was a fab line up of guests and some absolutely brilliant cosplayers! Cannot wait for my next convention in March!








No comments:

Post a Comment