Saturday 15 June 2013

Coronation Classics - 2nd June 2013

Having just got back from holiday the day before, I had not expected to find myself back at the Royal Albert Hall for the second time in three months. My in-laws had phone the night before offering me tickets for me and Rachael to attend a concert that would be taking place and that they would now be unable to attend themselves. The concert was Coronation Classics.


Coronation Classics a concert of music to celebrate 60 years since the Queen's Coronation. It featured music which to my surprise I actually knew and this is coming from someone who is not a fan of classical music. The music was a mixture of music from the coronation itself, including Handel's Zadok the Priest and Walton's Crown Imperial; and music which was not. It ended with extremely well known classics, Land of Hope and Glory and Rule Britannia.


It featured the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and Royal Choral Society, with featured guest performers, cellist, Julian Lloyd-Webber and Soprano, Ruth Jenkins. The conductor was Anthony Inglis, who really impressed me throughout the concert. He made the effort to engage with the audience, telling us stories about the music itself and encouraging us to join in with the songs at the end, making jokes as he went.

I have to say I really did enjoy myself more than I expected to. It probably helped that I knew the music as well. I enjoyed so much so, that I have promised Rachael that I may just take her to something similar again.

No comments:

Post a Comment