Saturday 27 December 2014

Cats - December 2014

When I was 6 years old, I appeared in my first dance show. I remember being a rabbit and being one of the many children of the Old Woman who lived in a Shoe. I also remember being freaked out BY the class dressed as Zombies to perform Michael Jackson's Thriller. But it was the medley of songs from the musical, Cats, that really stuck with me. The songs were just so catchy and written in a way that these amazing dances could be choreographed to them. My favourite one was Macavity, but perhaps that was because my aunt performed the role in the medley. 
Despite my memories of that medley, I had never seen Cats the Musical until this year's West End revival. I don't know why it took me so long, it just did. I knew with the press the UK tour was getting, that eventually it would find its way back to the West End. It really came as no surprise to me when it was announced. I booked my tickets on the day of release, fearing I would miss out if I didn't. Cheap tickets in the Upper Circle was fine by me as long as it meant I was seeing the show. Even more excitement was that Nicole Scherzinger was performing the coveted role of Grizabella, a role made famous by Elaine Page, to whom anyone who plays her is compared. 

One of the amazing things about this revival is that the original creative team were brought on board again. Direction by Trevor Nunn, who I was fortunate to meet after the show. Choreography by the talented Gillian Lynne, who I adore. Design was by John Napier. Despite the original creative team, the show was given a fresh lease of life with changes being made to modernize parts of the show. 
I was so excited about seeing the show, even if according to the website, Nicole was not scheduled to appear. Our seats were high up and yet gave us this spectacular view of the stage. The set came out into the audience and in front of the boxes, making the audience closer to the action. It truly is an incredible design and I will not be surprised if it picks up some awards in the new year.

Throughout the show, I was like a little at Christmas. I knew the majority of the music so well, thanks to my childhood and only now I was seeing it truly brought to life on stage. While the show is set around a book of poems by TS Eliot, it does have a basic storyline. To be honest paid attention to it, as I was astounded by the phenomenal talent on stage before me. The vocals were outstanding and on point. The dancing was the best choreography I have ever seen, with not one cast member struggling to sing at the same time. Imagine my excitement then, when Grizabella stepped out on stage for the first time and the realisation hit me that it WAS in fact Nicole performing the role that night. I could barely contain my excitement. 

Nicole Scherzinger has taken a lot of criticism for even being cast. Casting doubt on her ability to perform one of the most iconic songs in the musical theatre and being able to live up the standard expected by Elaine Page fans was quite honestly unfair. She had proven herself to be more than capable before even being cast, having performed songs from Phantom of the Opera and Evita. She is trained in musical theatre. Therefore, how could people be doubting the decision to cast her? Either way, she shut her critics up, proving to be perfect casting. Her performance of Memories was phenomenal, slowly building up until the last section where she just let go. It was emotional, bringing tears to many people's eyes. I was also impressed that at curtain call, despite being the biggest star on that stage, she did not allow herself to hog the limelight, wanting to share it with everyone on that stage! 

Cats is definitely one of the best revivals on the West End this year. Casting was phenomenal despite those who doubted the decisions made. But most of all I am so happy I finally saw this amazing show that I booked to see it again in January!

No comments:

Post a Comment